Website

Configuring Wordpress 3 with Multisite and second-level domains

I would like to test if it works to serve more websites from one Wordpress installation. By default Wordpress supports subdomains (like Wordpress.com) but I would like to run the installation with second-level domains (SLD). This is described in this article. Maybe in the future Wordpress will support SLD, in that case I will report that in this article. Why this article? Yes, I know there are a lot of other howto’s about to install Wordpress Multisite.

Wildcard domains DNS and local WAMP for website development

When developing websites on a local WAMP installation, I often need control over the DNS. It is no problem to add a hostname to the Windows hosts file, but a wildcard in the domain does not work. For example you need a wildcard domain when installing Wordpress Multisite locally with subdomains. This article has the solution to add wildcards to your local WAMP installation, without installing Bind or other heavy DNS solutions.

Ubuntu: Installing Zend Framework with NetBeans

To install Zend Framework is not as straight forward like other PHP Frameworks. Also to install it with NetBeans it was not described very well on blogs.sun.com/netbeansphp site. Let’s start! My assumption is that NetBeans is installed already on Ubuntu. I used NetBeans 6.9.1 and Ubuntu 10.10. In NetBeans are also the PHP plugins installed. Installing the Zend Framework First we are going to install Zend: $ sudo apt-get install zend-framework-bin This will also install the package: “libzend-framework-php”.

Collapse text in content

To show and hide contents in Drupal we can use the javascript library in the core and obtain the same effect that we get by default in the collapsible fields of Drupal forms. All is needed is to invoke the script collapse.js in the body of the content (node or block) we are creating: <script type="text/javascript" src="/misc/collapse.js"></script> and insert the collapsible content in a fieldset to which we will add the class collapsible collapsed:

Automatic translating content in Drupal by using Google Translate

To translate content on your website, it is possible to use Google Translate. There are 2 ways to do this: Translating the website on the client side (in Drupal by using the module GTranslate). The website will be readable in more than 50 languages. Translating the content for every language used on your website. Because Google Translator does not translates perfectly, the results should be modified. So the last option I would like to use.

Optimizing the robots.txt and the Google webmaster tools

One week ago, this site had some URL path changes. It is possible to check for Google crawl errors on: www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ The web crawler errors were containing some paths, which I am not using, but are used by the hosting provider. My directory structure also contains some paths, which not have to be indexed. To prevent that the Google webcrawler has errors, it is good to add this paths to the robots.

Redirect URL’s after removing an installed language

If you look to your current URL for this website, you will see a path-prefix /en, because this post in English. This site is also in Dutch (/nl) and it was also possible to switch to Czech (/cs). This was only to switch the menu’s to the Czech language, so I wanted it to remove this language. So I wanted to redirect the /cs path to /en, to point to a valid English URL.

Howto translate my website information in Drupal

With the i18n module, it is possible to make a Drupal site multilingual, but the data such as site name, slogan, mission, etc. are not translated. But with a trick it is possible. Adding Variables Open the file: /sites/default/settings.php and add the following text: /* * Multilingual settings * * This is a collection of variables that can be set up for each language when i18n enabled. * These are the basic ones for Drupal core, but you can add your own here.

White pages in Drupal admin

Some of the Drupal Admin pages did not work. For example the menu: Home »Administer» Site Construction »Menus» Navigation The problem seemed to be solved after disabling the various modules. But when I went looking for the module what causes the trouble, it was a bit random. In short, the problem was not in the modules, but the extra memory usage that the modules used. The status reporting in Drupal menu Home »Administer» Reports »Status report, was the PHP memory limit to 16MB and it was ok.

Setting up XML sitemaps module in drupal 6.X

As part of setting up my Drupal site I installed the XML Sitemap Module. Taken from the project page: “XML Sitemap automatically creates a site map that conforms to the sitemaps.org _specification. This helps search engines keep their search results up to date_“. This is an important part of helping the search engines find my site and have an accurate list of the content on my site. Because I am on Drupal 6 I used a dev version of the module because there is not a stable release available yet.